From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arsl...@arslist.org] On Behalf Of Stroud, Natalie K
Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 5:25 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Vista Issues with 7.0 User tool.

**

Here are few issues we've encountered at our site running User Tool v.
7.1 Patch 003 under Vista Enterprise Edition: (Sorry, Kevin, yours isn't
one of them)

If the user has spell check turned on and creates a ticket in which a
spelling error is found, the spell check window comes up behind the
Remedy client, which makes it appear that the Remedy client has hung.
We don't have a fix, only a workaround:  Alt-Tab to the spell-check
window.  (And there's a registry hack to revert to the "classic" Alt-Tab
icons if you don't like the Vista default ones or find them to be hard
to decipher. Just go to
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer and create a
DWORD called "AltTabSettings" and set it to 1.)

If your print-a-ticket option involves a Crystal Report, it sometimes
prints 15+ copies of the ticket.  We finally fixed it by having our
print option create a ReportLink report and print that instead, but our
IT department also found that there was a print driver option pertaining
to spooling (and I'm sorry, but I forget the details off the top of my
head) that would resolve this problem if you changed it from the default
value.  If anyone is interested, I can probably dig those details up.

Kevin, for your problem, I'd just suggest some generic troubleshooting
steps, if you haven't tried these already:

1.       Can you tell if they're authenticating properly?

2.      See if they have the same problem logging in from a different
machine.  That will at least help you narrow it down whether it's a
machine problem or an account problem.

3.   If it's clearly an account problem and they log in via a Preference
Server, blow away the Preferences file and have them log in again so it
recreates.

4.   If it's a machine problem, clear out their local ARS cache (most
likely c:\users\all users\ar system\home, though it can be under their
own profile instead of all users if they elected to have Remedy
available for just themselves during the installation process.)  We've
found that "weirdness happens" once the users reach 100+ folders in the
local cache.

Good luck!

Natalie Stroud
Remedy/ESS Tester
 Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC),
  contractor to Sandia National Labs
Albuquerque, NM
(505)844-7983
nkst...@sandia.gov <mailto:nkst...@sandia.gov>