From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arsl...@arslist.org] On Behalf Of Stroud, Natalie K
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2008 1:04 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Vista Issues with 7.0 User tool.

**

Yeah, that's kind of an important piece of the puzzle.  ;]  But it's
good you thought of it.

If my original suggestion to clear the local ARS cache doesn't help,
then have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling the Remedy client?

If that doesn't help, what about this guy's setup is different from the
users who aren't having the problem?   You might consider bringing one
of your desktop support people in on this to get their
perspective/assistance, because they tend to know more about what a
standard configuration in your organization should look like and the
stuff I'm going to throw out is probably more in their job description
than yours.  Back when I was still in desktop support, I had many cases
where there would be some weird problem a user was having, and when I
went by to take a look, I'd notice something about their setup that was
a little out of the ordinary, and if I would remove that
out-of-the-ordinary thing from the equation (or at least shift it around
a bit), voila, the problem went away.

Here is a random grab bag of "out of the ordinary" things you might
consider:

*       John Reiser mentioned the dual monitor setup in 2-1
configuration.  Does switching that around solve the problem?
*       Does this guy have some sort of elevated privilege or Smart Card
or two-factor account when the other users around him don't?  If so, and
he can remove the Smart Card and still be logged in, does that resolve
the problem.
*       Does he have some weird little program he's running that could
be running on the same port as the Remedy client?  Remove it and see if
he still has the problem.
*       Does he use something like a KVM switch (for running multiple
computers from the same keyboard/video/mouse) and if so, does he have
the problem if he doesn't use it?
*       Does he use a wireless/keyboard or mouse and if so, does using a
standard one resolve the problem?  Or, does he just need to change the
battery?  Or, is he using it from a position where it can't communicate
properly with the receiver?
*       Does he experience weird behaviors with other apps that access
the network?  If so, could be an issue with his NIC, or with the
connection between his desk and wherever your ARS Server is (we have
some external users who access our Remedy server via a VPN switch of
some kind, and we've had problems with the VPN switch mangling some of
the Remedy-specific authentication packets and causing the users all
sorts of grief.)

Good luck, and let us know if you (or your IT department) figures it
out.

Natalie Stroud
Remedy/ESS Tester
Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC),
  contractor to Sandia National Labs
Albuquerque, NM
(505)844-7983
nkst...@sandia.gov <mailto:nkst...@sandia.gov>