Is it just me, or is anyone else having problems with the installers for ARS
7.5 ?  Here's what's happening:

Server: VMWare Windows 2003 Server

DB:       MSSQL2005

JDK:     1.6.0_06

JRE:     1.6.0_06

You have to make sure the server has a DNS suffix in its name (mine is not a
member of a domain), and make sure that MSSQL Native Client Configuration
has TCP/IP enabled.

The first few attempts, I used the ARSuiteKitWindows installer.  When the
installer got to offering me the install options, I chose Custom and
selected all the components to install except the LDAP integrations,
Approval and Assignment engines which I don't need.  So I should have had
all the clients, AR Server, Mid-Tier, Web Services plugin, and Email engine.
I chose to register with portmapper.

I tried this a couple of times (fortunately, being on VMWare, I was able to
revert to a snapshot of the virgin system) and each time the installers
failed to install the portmapper (portmap.exe) so the AR Server couldn't
start. (I think there may have been other files also not installed).  After
the failed installation, the uninstall options did not work (failed to find
Class Main).

So, then I tried repeating the installation, but not registering with
Portmapper.  This time the AR Server was not dependent on the missing
portmap.exe file, but the installation still failed.  The AR Server just
would not start. Again the uninstall option (from Control Panel) would not
work, so the VM was rolled-back again.

I then tried the Minimal Install option (not custom) which installs just the
AR Server.  Registered with Portmapper, and to my (by now) surprise, it
worked.  The AR Server was installed, Portmapper was installed and
everything seemed to be working.  (Took another VM Snapshot at this point
!!)

Next step - re-run the installer and select the other Server components that
I want - Email, Mid-Tier, Web Services Plugin.  The installer ran and
completed, installed Tomcat (for use with IIS) etc. with no issues.  Great I
thought.

Next step - install the clients including Developer Studio.  Run the
installer again, choose only the client tools and all apparently completes,
so I should be there. but.

User Tool - if I set it to use a Preference Server, there don't seem to be
any defaults set, so I go through Tools Options and set all the options. OK
and log-in again and it hasn't saved them.  I can get it to save Flat look
on Forms, and a couple of other options, but not much else.  Open the User
Preferences record in the User Tool and set the options there.  A few more
'take' but there are still some that I can't set and save (like ODBC Use
Underscores).  So, give up on using Preference Server and using the ini file
all seems OK.

Developer Studio - can't start it - 'The DevStudio executable launcher was
unable to locate its companion shared library'.  Tried reinstalling it again
from the full installer, and also the client only installer - same result.
I didn't have these problems when I tried a beta copy.  This looks like one
of the most tedious and unreliable installers I've come across in years.

Oh, and the uninstall option still doesn't work - Java Virtual Machine
Launcher - Could not find the main class. Program will exit.

Installing ARS on a windows box used to be a breeze - definitely not now.
Has anyone else had more luck?

Regards

David Sanders

Remedy Solution Architect