I *just* finished an install exactly like you (vmware win2003, sql 2005,
IIS+Tomcat) except I am on JDK 1.6.0_11-- and absolutely no problems.
Installed everything except FTS and SNMP.  I registered with portmapper but
left both following port numbers blank.

Are you doing this over RDP?  There was a note in the install guide to
disable temp dir flushing, etc using tscc.msc to avoid install problems.  I
thought "boy I am glad I saw that, I wonder what would have happened..."
:-)

Brien