The CAI Plug-in creates the Incidents from the Requests in the Requester
Console as the Remedy Application Service.  In a similar fashion, if you use
Kinetic Request the Submitter will be KD_WEBUSER unless you do something to
change that value before Submit.

I know I had to add workflow to set Submitter = Requester in ITSM 7, just like
I did in previous Help Desk versions, but I also always exposed or added an
"Original Submitter" field so that I could record who created the record even
after the Submitter = Requester code had run.  This retained information about
who submitted the ticket _and_ allowed customers with Read licenses to edit
their cases in Help Desk, which ITSM 7 isn't really designed to do directly.
If I create an Incident in ITSM 7.0 (or a 7.5 system upgraded from the
customized 7.0) as a support staffer, the support staff ID goes into Original
Submitter and the customer ID goes into Submitter.  We built it this way when
we were first customizing Incident 7.0 after seeing that the OOTB notifications
send customers a link directly to the Incident, which they can't see without
Incident Viewer or edit without being the Submitter on a Submitter Locked
system, so we kept the customizations.  Later we found more problems with the
design (rights to the incident did not allow a customer to add a Work Info
entry) so we disabled the OOTB customer notifications entirely.  I think it was
just one more inconsistency (of many) in the design of ITSM 7.0 which was
leading towards moving customer access to SRM before that product was even
designed.

If you route all customer access through the Requester Console, or a portal app
like SRM or Kinetic Request, and do not give the customers ANY access at all to
ITSM, technically it should not matter what value is in the Submitter field, or
even if your AR Server is Submitter Locked (someone from BMC can correct me if
I am wrong).  In our case, the support staff are used to using and interpreting
the values in Submitter and Original Submitter a certain way, and have many
reports built on those values, so we continued to use them the way we did in
Help Desk 5.5 and earlier.   You can customize your system too if you have good
reason, but ITSM 7.0 and 7.5 seem to have made Submitter less important to the
overall function of the application; the trick is to avoid any code that tries
to CHANGE the value of the Submitter on a Submitter Locked system; ITSM 7.5
failed that test right out of the starting gate (see Active Link
HPD:HPS:OnSubmit_004 which will prevent saving changes to the Incident
Management Settings in configuration).

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Call Tracking Administration Manager
http://itsm.unt.edu/