Actually - I would consider the "fuzzing technique" for testing. Cause -- all testing a " " would do is catch the space problem.

Fuzzing would try tons of things you would never think of. (tabs / Null \0 / etc.....)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuzz_testing

Also - I would make the claim that - reporting is easier when the comments are in a related table. (most (maybe all) reporting tools know how to use related tables -- NONE of the reporting tools I know of know how to parse a Remedy diary field)

Reporting -- it would be easier to produce a report of "high touch tickets" by reporting on all tickets where comment.count > 10 -- or something like that - if the comments were in a separate table.

My guess as to why the diary field exists (and still exists) - is two reasons. 1) Original Remedy did not have push fields (or tables like we now know them) -- and so the diary field solved the problem. 2) Diary fields == more licenses -- updating a simple status would update the worklog - forcing a modify of the record - hence license used -- aka $$$.

-John