Don't rely on guess work to determine whether the db uses the index or
not.  More than likely, if you have index ABC and you search on ABC,
the db will not use the index.  If you have separate indexes on A and
on B and on C, then the db has the choice of which indexes it wants to
use.

With Remedy there is no way to pass hints to the db to instruct it to
use a given access method, so you have to rely on the mechanism within
the db to make the best decision.  Unfortunately, this is easier said
than done.  The db relies on statistics about a table/index/data to
determine the best method of access.  In oracle terms, this includes
statistics collection on the table and the index.  Make sure that
during your evaluation of how the db works with the indexes that the
statistics are in line with what you will have in your production
environment.

On Oracle, you can evaluate the various options by setting up the
indexes/stats as needed, enabling autotrace, then executing your
statement.

Axton Grams

The opinions, statements, and/or suggested courses of action expressed
in this E-mail do not necessarily reflect those of BMC Software, Inc.
My voluntary participation in this forum is not intended to convey a
role as a spokesperson, liaison or public relations representative for
BMC Software, Inc.