From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arsl...@arslist.org] On Behalf Of Walters, Mark
Sent: September 18, 2009 4:00 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: VMWare - Who is using successfully?

What OS are you running in the VMs?  If it's Windows you may be hitting,
with a full ITSM system, the 2GB limit for 32 bit Windows.  How large is the
arserver.exe process once it has started up?

By default 32 bit Windows will allow a process to grow to 2GB, if your
arserver reaches this then you can expect malloc errors.  There is a /3GB
switch that can be added to the boot.ini file that will increase the maximum
size.  Alternatively, and possibly a better solution, would be to use a 64
bit version of Windows in the VMs.  This allows, out of the box, a 32 bit
process (which all current versions of ARS for Windows are) to use up to 4GB
of RAM.

You may also want to have a look at why the server is getting so bit -
enable Copy-Cache-Logging: T in the ar.cfg and turn on thread logging.  This
will allow you to see admin changes that are leading to re-caching and any
associated memory jumps.

Mark Walters

The opinions, statements, and/or suggested courses of action expressed in
this E-mail do not necessarily reflect those of BMC Software, Inc.  My
voluntary participation in this forum is not intended to convey a role as a
spokesperson, liaison or support representative for BMC Software, Inc.