I had the same experience trying to build a virtual 7.5 ITSM build.

The SQL Server build went fine all the way through, but I could never get
the Oracle 10g build to work. I don't remember the error specifically, but
it was failing to contact the DB during the initial startup.

Since I was just building a sandbox, I gave up on Oracle and went with the
SQL Server build.

ARS 7.5p1
Host OS: XP and x64 2003EE
Guest OS: 2003EE
Software: VMWare Workstation 6.5 & VMWare Server 2.0

I thought about trying Fusion also, but looks like that would have been a
waste of time :)

Juan Ingles