I also ran into some issues with installing patch 4 fresh.  This is on
Windows 2008 64bit but had similar issues. Had a few rik errors, the
administration plugings were not working, the install hung on the final
servers start.

I removed everything, installed patch 3 and am upgrading to patch 4 now.
Jason