If I'm reading you correctly, it seems like you expect the else action to
fire based on the results of the if-action qualification of 'employeeid' =
$digits$.

That's not how it works. The Else action only fires if the main run-if
('digits' != "") evaluates to false.

What you might need to do is add another active link that fires just before
this one. You will use it to see if the employee exists.

Run if: 'digits' != $NULL$

If Action: set fields from employees; set 'temp-field' to $digits$ where
'employeeid' = $digits$.
If no match found: set fields to null.
If multi-match: Use first matching request.

Now, back to your original active link...
New run-if: 'temp-field' != $NULL$  (means we *did* find an employee in the
previous active link)

If action: Do your modify window open
Else action: Do your submit window open

-JDHood-

On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 21:40:02 +0100, Angus Comber <arsl...@iteloffice.com>
wrote:

>Hi Chintan
>
>Same effect even if I remove the Run If.  I think that it means that it
will only run the active link if there is text in the digits field.  Then
applies the if test and I assumed if the If test fails it would execvute
tyhe else - but for some reason it does not :(

>I can't understand why it won't execute the Else.  Is there another way to
do this?

>Angus

is not equal to "Employee not found". If if I input a number which does not
exist in database digits field is still not empty and hence 'digits' != ""
will not fail, in which case "If" action is executed and "If No Requests
Match: Do Not Show Any Message and suppress empty list." happens.

>        In other words, the only time I see your "Else" action getting
executed is when there is no data entered in digits field (as per Run If
that you have provided here).

>        Correct me if I am wrong in understanding your question.
>
>        Thanks,
>        Chintan

execute on button (on my form).

>          2. If action tab, action=Open Window, window type=Modify, Display
Type=Detail Only, Form name=employees

>          Qualification 'employeeid' = $digits$
>
>          If No Requests Match: Do Not Show Any Message and suppress empty
list.

>          The If Action part works fine.
>
>          In the Else Action Tab I have:
>          Current Action=Open window
>          Window Type=Submit
>          Form name=employees
>
>          Field mapping
>          employeeid mapped to $digits$
>
>          My problem is that the Else Action never gets called.
>
>          So, if the qualification in the If Action finds a match then this
executes ok and I see the found employee ok.

>          But if the qualification does not find any match then the Else
Action is not executed.