There is a keyboard shortcut to do this - Shift-Alt-F7.  So, with the caveat
that this only works with the user tool, you could set focus to the diary
field, and then use OLE to do the shift-alt-f7.  See the OLE examples in the
download section of http://www.buoyantsolutions.net/  (although now that I
check it, the link doesn't appear to be working).  Lookup "OLE Automation"
as an active link action, that should get you started.

Thad