As Misi noted, a multi-tiered menu could be very helpful here – if you have
indexes declared, those same datapoints should be useful as groupings as well
for a multi-tiered menu.  Or they could be separate elements set by the
customer for the search to narrow the selection and make the query faster.
These could be tiered elements like Product Categorization uses, in a
multi-tiered menu or set of menus, or separate elements like Incident Matching
(customer name, location, priority, etc) on a control panel with a list of
query results in a table below.

Perhaps some of these datapoints could be set by the system from what is known
about the user; without knowing the data involved it's hard to guess, but an
example would be showing by default sites that are in the same state as the
customer, or issues that are associated with the laptop the customer owns, or
the top 10, 20, 100 choices made by similar customers.  This could also let you
present most of the desired customer choices without having to do an
unqualified query.

Kelly Logan, Sr. Systems Administrator (Remedy), GMS
ProQuest | 789 E. Eisenhower Parkway, P.O. Box 1346 | Ann Arbor MI 48106-1346
USA | 734.997.4777
kelly.lo...@proquest.com<mailto:kelly.lo...@proquest.com>
www.proquest.com

ProQuest...Start here. 2010 InformationWeek 500 Top Innovator

you have received this email in error please notify the sender, and delete the
message from your computer.