Agreed - the menu is too large for actual use -- auto-complete would be a great
solution for both usability and performance.

Also -- for fun -- it is good to look at this occasionally for
thoughts/inspiration...

http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/AppleHIGuidelines/XHIGIntro/XHIGIntro.html

-John