I just had to explain to my corporate comptroller and CIO that just
because you can add an Approver using that approver's First and Last
Name from within a Change ticket, that doesn't mean that you can
reassign an approval the same way. I also went ahead and informed the
two of them that they cannot create and Alternate Approver record using
the alternate's First and Last Name.

Why is it that one Approval Central will only recognize login ID? I
understand that the Add Approver function on Infrastructure Change uses
workflow to find the login ID and pass that to the Approval Engine to
correctly build out the new approval. Did the developers of Approval
Central not realize that they could have used the same workflow so
end-users are not confused by when to use ID vs Name? The least that
they could have done is on the reassignment dialog form is have the
field label of "Approver ID" instead of "Approver". The same goes for
the Alternate Approver form, the label there is "Alternate*". There is
no workflow to validate that the data being put in these fields is what
the system actually needs. Funny thing about reporting this to support
is that the answer is "Working as Designed". Really?!?! Well I knew that
it was working as designed, it's not a bug, it's just poor design! Its
fine to have Remedy developers/ admins have to figure out how the system
works but to push that headache to a UI where true end-users are
impacted.