The email engine has a limit on what it can process in a given day, but you
are not yet close to that number (unless you are running on 200Mhz
processors).  Your bottleneck most likely lies elsewhere, such as with the
workflow triggered during the processing of incoming messages.  If you do
get to that hard limit, you can squeeze some extra throughput by tuning the
JVM.

If the workflow that kicks when handling an incoming email takes more time
than there is in a day, you have a problem.  You have to also consider that
the email engine, afaik, handles either incoming or outgoing messages, but
not both at the same time, so you have to split the time; assuming at 50/50
time split, you need to be able to handle those incoming emails in under ~20
seconds each.  Follow Misi's good suggestion and collect your filter, api,
and sql logs.  Find where the time is going, address it, and your throughput
should increase.

Shorter polling intervals will result in a higher throughput; as far as I
can see, the shorter the interval the better.  Longer intervals simply
result in idle time on the part of the email engine.

I think you may be overkill on the threads you have allocated to the email
engine unless you have a large number of mailboxes.  Turn the minimum down
to 1, turn on thread logging, and see if it ever uses more than 2 threads.
 Having a bunch of extra/idle threads, which will happen if your minimum is
too high, will result in a bunch of extra sessions to your database server
that do nothing.  This adds to the overhead on your database.  With Oracle,
if using dedicated sessions, it means a bunch of extra processes and extra
memory usage.

Axton Grams