That did it and it's logging much more info now!

I can *now* see from logging that the failure to auth is likely simple-bind
being rejected on the LDAP server (I didn't realize LDP uses SASL by
default). When I changed LDP to a simple, non ssl bind, the known-good
login failed there as well. This would be a clue.

Thank you ARSList!
-JDHood