Also,

I have heard BMC say - that it is a "supported way" to push into Incident…
(You can think of it loosely as an API)

As in - BMC owns the responsibility from version to version - that it will
work.

So - if you are somebody like Kinetic - we should feel "somewhat safe" to
push to incident_create and it will work from version to version.

*** Side note: you may be pushing to one form (incident_create) - but it
then creates records in a variety of different forms.
So - yes you could do it - but you might have to do 5 pushes vs the one.

-John

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 12:30 PM, Lyle Taylor <tayl...@ldschurch.org> wrote:

> My understanding was that the primary purpose of the "interface" forms and
> web services was to provide a more stable integration point for custom
> integrations.  It follows the normal interface vs. implementation paradigm.
>  You publish an interface which establishes a contract between your system
> and others, and change that as little as possible.  Then, you can make all
> the changes you want behind the scenes so long as it doesn't break the
> contract you have provided (the interface) with external systems.  The idea
> then is that BMC can change the implementation details of that module
> without having to worry too much about breaking customer integrations if
> they use the provided interface.
>
> In general, my recommendation is to use defined interfaces when possible.
>  That said, I've had numerous problems with that particular interface in
> ITSM 7.0.  In particular there are issues around the Status Reason field.
>  Supposedly they have been fixed somewhere along the line in 7.5 or 7.6,
> but I can't confirm that.  There have been at least two issues with it.
>  The first is that it's required to have a value for certain Status values,
> but was not included in the web service.  The second issue is that
> something is broken in the Join form or something that causes it not to
> save the value correctly.  It doesn't get completely ignored, but
> effectively gets ignored.  It's aggravating - you'll see the value getting
> set at one point in the workflow logs, and then you see it unset again
> later.  I remember going through the filter logs and a filter would checked
> twice to see if it would run.  In one case, the Run If would pass, and it
> would run, the next time it would fail, and so it would not run.  This was
> even though the value of the Status and Status Reason fields had not
> changed from one test to the next.  I finally gave up on it.
>
> So, in our case, we use it, and have exposed the Status Reason field, but
> still have some issues around it. Other than that, it seems to work fine,
> though.
>
> As I said, in general, when an interface is provided I think it is best to
> use the interface unless you have really good reasons not to.  If anything,
> if there is doubt, I would be looking for reasons NOT to use the interface
> rather than reasons TO use the interface.  I'm not sure that sounds right -
> I wouldn't actively look for reasons not to use it - the point is, good
> justification should be in place if you are not going to use the interface.
>  Justification is not required for using the defined interface.  Not sure
> that sounded much better. Oh well... :-)
>
> Lyle

*John Sundberg*
Kinetic Data, Inc.
"Your Business. Your Process."
*WWRUG10 Best Customer Service/Support Award*
*WWRUG09 Innovator of the Year Award*
*
*
651-556-0930 I john.sundb...@kineticdata.com