> with Service Now ITSM SaaS Solution

ServiceNow's material describes themselves as SaaS and PaaS (i.e. a development
platform). That is key because you will almost certainly have to develop with
this product unless you have a very simple implementation of ITSM.

> License Cost

I cannot discuss that and I don't think anyone here can, given that they don't
know what company you represent, how many seats, etc. There is no fixed price
for any of the products mentioned.

> Implementation timelines  - Service now holds edge over Remedy ITSM since
> they have instance based implementation.

I cannot see how you can say that, unless you have done an implementation for
ServiceNow. (As for my credentials, I have both ServiceNow and Remedy
development instances, but I have not done a ServiceNow implementation.)

Quite simply, ServiceNow has all of the "basic applications" available. Their
is a "build up" model, whereas Remedy ITSM is a "it is in there" model. I know
that for the one customer I am researching into ServiceNow for, there would be
a fair bit of development to bring those basic applications up to the level of
where they would want to be.

Mind you, that is not necessarily a bad thing as you can put in only what you
want and no more. It also means that you are stuck doing all of the
documentation for those customizations.

> Service Now still haven't tested ITSM upgrade roadblocks

I don't think that is true. Aspen was a significant release and I spoke with a
number of SNOW customers and they all said it went smoothly. (Of course, the
number I spoke with cannot be assumed to be statistically significant!) Their
development model was built with it in mind that you *would* use it as a
development platform. Their system administration and scripting classes make it
fairly clear what you are supposed to do so upgrades do not collide with your
work. As with Remedy there is always the chance that the vendor will change
execution order, messing up your work, or add functionality that you added in
by hand, so testing will always be required. But they have figured out how not
to step on your work directly.

> Customization Ease - Remedy ITSM will win over this point since their ITSM
> source code is open to customized for customers.

It does not sound like you understand SNOW development sufficiently. Their
"code" is fully accessible and form-based, as with Remedy, with the ability to
inject JavaScript in almost anywhere. The majority of that code is directly
accessible too. Do you have a specific example of SNOW code you wanted to
access but could not?

> Support and Maintenance Costs

Again, a sales issue largely dependent upon who you are.

Maintenance, however, comes in two forms: that paid to the vendor and that paid
to employees or contractors to keep your system running. With the latter, I
have been finding SNOW labor costs lower, largely because the skills are much
more common (HTML, JavaScript, CSS). System Administrators should be good to go
after a single 3 day class. Most can pass the certification exam after six
months of working the system (and not because the exam is easy).

Code maintenance could be a problem - more of a problem than Remedy - as you
can stick code almost anywhere. Having a good naming convention (which the
internal SNOW developers do *not* have) is a must, IMO.

> What are strong selling points of BMC Remedy ITSM over SNOW?

My biggest concern over the moment is "application scaling". Yes, they can
scale the infrastructure but certain design elements they have selected won't
scale beyond a certain point and have to be replaced. A good example are
incident templates. The display/selection method is good for about 20-30 items.
If you need more then you will have to replace it with your own interface.

Want to do good things with SNOW? Better be up on your HTML, CSS, JavaScript,
and Jelly. Better buy that Web UI book on Amazon. :^)

Dale Hurtt
US Army Information Systems Engineering Command (contractor)
http://itsm-tools.blogspot.com