Exactly what my recommendation would have been for core forms.

Regarding BPCU, it is designed for newer versions of ITSM (at least I don't
think it goes back to 5.x).  I don't see any value in your situation.  It
sounds like you know the handful of customizations to recreate on a handful
of core forms.  I would just create overlays manually.  Doing this to core
forms will allow patches and upgrade to go smoothly in the future.

About HD 5.6 is it so far out of support you basically own anything that
has been or will be done to it.  I do not see value in using overlays with
these old BMC apps.

We have Help Desk 6 that has been upgrade from AR 7.0 to 7.6.04 and we do
not use Best Practice mode with this environment.  Ideally we would convert
the customizations to core forms to overlays but we do not intend on
keeping this environment long-term.

Jason