One 'problem' with it would be if they at some point in the future decide
to install a newer version of ITSM...they would then have custom objects
with the same names as 'base' objects....but I don't know enough to know if
this is a scenario that needs to be worried about or not.

I have seen many posts from people that essentially say 'I plan on staying
in base with my custom stuff, and not deal with all of that other overlay
stuff'...and that's cool, but they continue to put themselves in front of
the wrecking ball that BMC is trying to help all of us avoid by creating
this overlay mechanism.