I think we're making this too complex at this stage. I gather we're in
agreement that the short-term goal is to get ARTIQ up and running as quickly as
possible in some labs using existing TTL and DDS hardware. I propose postponing
the task of improving upon the current parallel LVDS bus. A straight-forward
solution is to draw up a pair of daughter cards for the FMC connectors: one for
the TTL/PMT bus and a second for the DDS bus.

Ingredients:
* reuse sn65lvdm1677 transceivers which have built-in 110 Ohm termination
* our existing SCSI cables are HPDB68 (68-pin)
* put 50-pin IDC ribbon cable connector on daughter cards
* use a IDC to SCSI adapter (under proper detensioning) to interface with the
SCSI cable (which tends to torque a lot)
e.g.
http://www.patchcords.com/scsi-internal-to-external-adaptor-idc-50-pin-male-to-hpdb-68-pin-female/

-Joe

Joe Britton