From: Slichter, Daniel H. (Fed) [mailto:daniel.slich...@nist.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 5:46 PM
To: Leibrandt, David R. (Fed) <david.leibra...@nist.gov>; Sébastien
Bourdeauducq <s...@m-labs.hk>; Grzegorz Kasprowicz <kaspr...@gmail.com>
Cc: 'Grzegorz Kasprowicz' <gkasp...@elka.pw.edu.pl>; artiq@lists.m-labs.hk
Subject: RE: [ARTIQ] FW: initial specification of the project

> I like this plan.  I think 4 + 4 channels will also make the front
> panel connector density more reasonable.  What are you thinking for
> number of daughter cards?  I suppose that more would give us more
> flexibility, but less would be more economical in terms of cost and
> layout area.  Perhaps two daughter cards would be reasonable: one for
> all of the inputs and one for all of the outputs?

Agreed that ~ 8 front panel SMA connections, plus one clock SMA connection, is
about what one can tolerate in a reasonable way in terms of physical footprint.
 If we split this as 4 DAC + 4 ADC, it makes a nice symmetry although my
suspicion is that most applications would prefer something more asymmetric with
a few more DAC channels than ADC channels (6 DAC/2 ADC or 6 DAC/4 ADC, for
example). One could go a simple as 4 DAC/2 ADC and make the space requirements
even simpler to fulfill on the cards.  All of these modifications will increase
the price per channel, even though we may be able to save on FPGA costs.  For
example, if we do 4 DAC/2 ADC on a card with 1x AD9154 and 1x ADC16DX370 (our
currently planned parts), we only need 10 GTX transceivers on the FPGA.  With 4
DAC/4 ADC, this would be 12 GTX transceivers.  With these numbers we could look
at the ZU5EV Zynq Ultrascale, instead of the ZU9EG, which we had been
discussing.

To Greg's question on the RTM, we have had a number of extensive internal
discussions about pros and cons of RTM and it seems that we don't want to
pursue this avenue for a number of carefully considered reasons.  Let's just
take it as a given that we will need to put everything on the AMC card or its
analog daughtercards.  As stated, the DAC and ADC chips themselves will be on
the AMC card, not the analog daughtercards.

I am in favor of separate analog daughtercards for the inputs and the outputs,
this seems sensible.