From: ARTIQ [mailto:artiq-boun...@lists.m-labs.hk] On Behalf Of Robert Jördens
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 10:08 PM
To: artiq@lists.m-labs.hk
Subject: [ARTIQ] Fwd: FW: initial specification of the project

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 9:53 PM, Grzegorz Kasprowicz <gkasp...@elka.pw.edu.pl>
wrote:
> Maybe we should come back to the roots:) What if we use standard FMCs
> (LPC) with DAC/ADC channels and RF stuff _on_ them.
> JESD204B and some pins would go to the FPGA while DAC and RF clock would be
> fed externally.
> In this way we leave general purpose AMC board and define its
> functionality by FMC boards If we make 3 flavours of FMCs: ADC+ADC,
> ADC+DAC,DAC+DAC, we would cover several use cases:
> Quad ADC, quad DAC, 1xADC 3xDAC, 3xADC 1xDAC.
> FMCs with only DAC and RF stuff on it can be simple, 4 layer boards with
> external sield.
> Look at this shield (my project)
> http://www.ohwr.org/projects/fmc-adc-130m-16b-4cha/wiki
> In this way we could use existing AFCK for quick tests

I was about to suggest that we consider doing that as well.

In the end the DAC/ADC can be on the mezzanine. It doesn't matter much in terms
of cost. It makes shielding much easier and much more efficient, gets rid of
all coax board-to-board connectors (which saves a lot of space again), allows
testing on other carrier platforms, allows usage of other mezzanines. The only
downside is that a standard FMC does not have much space. But maybe that's fine.

Robert.