I also think that, however "disgusting" the Zynq is, there are a number of
people who might want the additional processing power available in a hard
processor.  Greg also points out a number of advantages in terms of management
of bitstreams in a large-scale experimental setting.

On our previous phone conversations with Sebastien, Joe, and Dave Leibrandt, it
seemed that using the hard processor on the Zynq would be necessary to be able
to talk to a connected SDRAM chip, so there is a little more to it than just
treating it as a regular Kintex in terms of connections.  However, Sebastien
seemed to think that it would not be that difficult to implement things on a
Zynq.  Sebastien, has this opinion changed?  Is the "disgusting" part of Zynq a
philosophical objection, or an objection based on the amount of additional work
required to implement gateware?  Many potential users might prefer having a
Zynq.

We also discussed the advantages of having 24 gigabit transceivers, instead of
16, in that then we are not reduced to hacks to have gigabit connectivity (e.g.
GbE, potentially PCIe, etc) while keeping the possibility of using 8 DAC
outputs at their full bandwidth.  If this is not a priority, the AD9154 can be
run at a reduced instantaneous bandwidth (e.g. higher interpolation rate) or
reduced channel count, both of which would be satisfactory for some
applications, with only 4 lanes connected.  Thus one could connect one FMC with
8 lanes and the other with 4 lanes (4 lanes is all that is needed for 4
channels of ADC at max data rates), and have 4 left over.  I proposed this idea
back some months ago when we were doing initial discussions.

Best,
Daniel