On Saturday, 9 April 2016 6:10:36 PM HKT Grzegorz Kasprowicz wrote:
> Why do you think that CPUs have negative value? You don't have to use them
> at all.

I already explained that the MPSoC has to be dealt with and cannot be
completely ignored. If we have two SDRAM systems, maybe we can to a reasonable
extent, but then it does complicate the board.

> Anyway, to build MCH, we need first tongue. We can either build it or buy
> it.  Buying is the simplest option at the moment and we get gigabit switch
> and management.

> On the MCH Tongue 3, there is single port Ethernet connection that can be
> used for slow control and remote upgrade.

We do not need Ethernet (nor IPMI in fact) inside the crates. The only part of
the system that has Ethernet is between the control PC and the root master
(Metlino); this can go over one of its regular SFPs.

> 6. MCH Tongue 2 clock distributor(Metlino). We can use NAT clock module with
> two low jitter crossbar switches.

Why do we need a fancy clock module? Data transfer certainly does not require
one. Are you reconsidering your position that the AMC backplane should not be
used for DAC clocks?

Also, (5 data/clock signals)*(10 AMCs)*(2 for differential) = 100 pins, plus
power supply. Do we really need all those "tongues"?

Sébastien