Title: RE: [AsburyPark] Re: Abbot Funding cuts....

Tomorrow is the 8th anniversary of the decision.  If I worked for the State I would use whatever alternative statistics available to get out of Abbot funding.  10 years is a long time if the DFG has ceased to be accurate.

-----Original Message-----
From: AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com [mailto:AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com]On
Behalf Of dfsavgny
Sent: Friday, May 13, 2005 4:29 PM
To: AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [AsburyPark] Re: Abbot Funding cuts....

I guess my ass has a brain after all. See an excerpt from Abbott below.
Note use of Census data. Maybe we have 10 years from when it was put
into place.

The Abbott District came about in the Abbott v. Burke Decision on May
14, 1997. What this court decision did was to give additional state
funding to poor urban districts so that their per-pupil expenditures
became equivalent to the average per-pupil expenditures of the wealthy
suburban districts. A major determining factor in the classification of
Abbott districts was the "District Factor Groups" (DFG). DFG
classifications are based on US Census data and are revised every 10
years. The Department Of Education uses DFG data to analyze the
relationship between student achievement and the socioeconomic status
of the communities in which they reside. (New Jersey Department of
Education, 2004). { See Statistical Information}