Title: RE: [AsburyPark] Re: something positive?

It's only paint?  My understanding is that bricks are made from porous material but when fired the exterior becomes largely sealed.  That means if you take off the natural exterior finish water gets in and bricks can crack and spall when the temperature falls below freezing.  So if you paint bricks they generally have to stay painted forever.  Sandblasting will take off the paint but it also takes off the exterior seal.  So don't think they'll be brought back to their original state ever.  To do that after painting would be fairly expensive.  Obviously multiple coats of paint will eventually have its problems as well.  Anyway they aren't the same buildings because there are any number of things missing including the natural brick exterior.

-----Original Message-----
From: AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com [mailto:AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com]On
Behalf Of Lighty
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 5:39 PM
To: AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [AsburyPark] Re: something positive?

On 5/31/05 5:34 PM, "charlie leonard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> but its
> only paint, aside from that, there the same shape,
> same buidlings that hve been there for 25 years.

You did see the state of the Hojo's Pavilion didn't you?  You know why there
is that giant fence around one piece of it?  Because CHUNKS of concrete have
been falling off of the building within the last two months...  It is
definitely not in the same shape it was for the last 25 years.

It's falling apart.