Gary, do you realize that below you said all of these things about
your fellow Americans?:

> Maybe the problem is that America shoots for the lowest common
> denominator.

> We despise our European roots because they still believe in things
> like art
> & culture as defining a society.

> We fail to understand how there could be
> Muslims who are so offended by what we call art these days that
> they want
> our society to be wiped out.

> I guess Americans would rather be remembered
> for how well their stock did today.  We don't think of legacies or
> legends;
> heroes or people who changed the world.  We think of immediate
> gratification.

> While we linger in ignorance.

Not exactly a Patriot, are you.  You define Coastal Elitism.  Anyone
who doesn't agree with what you find important is simply ignorant,
of the lowest common denominator and without culture, and this is
your description of your fellow Americans.  Unbelievable.

You won't even consider that maybe there is not enough support for
the arts today because those Americans have more culture than you.
Perhaps the lack of support is because the arts community in today's
world stinks at what they do, because they lack standards - anyone
who wants to call himself an artist is one. Any barr chord slamming
kid with a CD burner gets to call himself musician.

Claiming the cultural hill is the province of left wing thinking,
and the reason there is such a back-lash against the left.  No one
likes a snob. In the words Squiggy, "I have more class in my little
finger than you have in your whole thumb."  Now that's art.

By the way I have no desire to understand a Muslim that wants me
dead beause of the art your friends are churning out.  I can't
beleive you even made the statement.

Yes I do want to be remembered for how well my stock did, because
that profit system allowed for the worlds greatest advances in
healthcare, communications, farming, etc.  It also proves we are not
the ignorant ones, since we Americans have advanced the world so far
to the good. A great legacy for the USA; we are heroes.

As for this statement of yours:

>I don't care if you never watch PBS, if you're gonna complain about
> what the government subsidizes towards arts & culture than you
>better go
> through the budget and pick out the thousands of other things that
>have no
> bearing on your life and complain about those as well.

I have watched PBS.  If many others watch too, I can't understand
why they don't sell commercials like everyone else?  Why support it
through taxes?  The only answer is they can't sell commercials
because the product isn't good enough.  PBS is is a pork project,
nothing more.

As for your invite to go through the budget and pick out other
things I dislike, I intend to.  I intend to cut completely, PBS, NPR
and the National Endowment of the Arts.  Let these freeloaders work
for a living like the rest of us.

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, Lighty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 10/3/05 4:27 PM, "bluebishop82" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Gary please don't mistake my question for an assertion.  I've
taken
> > no position here.  I'm just trying to understand what you are
> > saying. I still need an answer.  Why does a place like Great
> > Adventure thrive financially with no government subsidy, yet
> > theaters and art districts, which you maintain are "big draws"
need
> > subsidy?
>
> I guess you have to look at the bigger picture.  Why do trashy
television
> shows get better ratings than shows that try to make a statement?
Why do
> trashy novels sell more than pure literature?
>
> One could say that in a free market society that this is a good
thing;
> however, why is it that schools will include great literature in
their
> classrooms but ignore the trashy novels that outsell those books 6-
1? Could
> it be because it's part of a greater good?  I think so.  I think
that's why
> the government tries to help businesses get off of the ground.
>
> Let's face it, Six Flags is part of a gigantic corporation that
can afford
> to run tons of ads down the throats of the masses while a normal
theatre
> cannot ever expect to do so.  While there is a lot of costs to
running an
> amusement park or a Fortune 500 company, there are plenty of costs
involved
> in running a theatre (as you, more than most, are aware of). In
addition to
> rent, there are hefty utility costs, salaries to stagehands,
directors,
> actors, lighting crews, stage designers, marketers, etc.
Unfortunately, you
> would be very, very hard-pressed to survive at $20-$50 ticket
prices.  And
> that's the rub.
>
> Theatre exists to show the good and bad of society.  It is our
truth teller.
> It's our pathway from the past to the present and where we are
headed.
> Theatre tries to do this at a price that people can afford.
Sometimes it
> may seem expensive, but when compared to what a normal business
would have
> to charge to make a profit (or just survive) it is a bargain.  But
that
> bargain comes with a price.  It means tons of fundraising, begging
everyone
> from single subscribers to giant corporations to the government.
>
> And the government plays the smallest role of any of them.  It
plays a
> necessary role, but a small one.  Theatres have been forced to find
> alternative sources for 96-98% of their operating budget.
>
> What does it cost per person to subsidize PBS?  It's a
meaninglessly small
> number.  I don't care if you never watch PBS, if you're gonna
complain about
> what the government subsidizes towards arts & culture than you
better go
> through the budget and pick out the thousands of other things that
have no
> bearing on your life and complain about those as well.
>
> Subsidization may sound awful, but it happens in almost every
industry.  Why
> do people feel bad about the poor farmer who's got a decision
about selling
> the family farm for a couple of million dollars to a developer who
wants to
> put up a shopping mall but they hate the fact that artists are
being helped?

> Maybe the problem is that America shoots for the lowest common
denominator.
> We despise our European roots because they still believe in things
like art
> & culture as defining a society.  We fail to understand how there
could be
> Muslims who are so offended by what we call art these days that
they want
> our society to be wiped out.  To MOST OF THE WORLD, arts & culture
is how
> they want to be remembered.  I guess Americans would rather be
remembered
> for how well their stock did today.  We don't think of legacies or
legends;
> heroes or people who changed the world.  We think of immediate
> gratification.
>
> August Wilson passed away yesterday.  In some places around the
world, I
> expect there is a significant loss being felt.  It's a shame that
99% of the
> people in America have no idea who Wilson was.  And that's why the
arts
> should be subsidized in my opinion.  Because men like August
Wilson have

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/Y2tolB/TM