>> Recent eminant domain proceedings against all of Pat Fasano's
>> properties (which seems unusally selective since they are so
>> disparate and far apart) by Fishman confirms the latter's desire
>> control all business there.

When is the town going to wake up and have some courage?  Places like the
Wonder Bar should be applauded not destroyed.  How many benefits has Lance &
Debbie hosted for the town?  They turned that ugly building into something
wonderful.  The town should not let properties like these be taken away.
Why would anyone start a business in Asbury Park when they see businesses
who put hundreds of thousands of dollars into improvements get cast away for
a master plan that still doesn't have much in actual place?

It's a shame that Asbury Park DOESN'T have a newspaper fighting for these
business owners.

> Another view would be because Fasano is a trouble maker (in their
> eyes) but I don't think that is so. I think it is what you say, but
> more importantly, not to control wht's there, but to remove it so
> there is nothing but the BW and its frontage on Ocean Ave. What we
> have wrought here is a canyon of condos. I am not suggesting an
> abundance of retail to compete with Downtown, but a diversity of
> ground floor uses. That is how you make a lively urban environment
> with the right kind of street life. The plans thus far are
> tantamount to a sterile, age-restricted condo complex ala Brick. A
> private enclave is what Larry is creating.

Sounds wonderful.  It's rather remarkable that $1.9 billion was spent in
Monmouth County, an increase of 15.6 percent over the previous year, when
all of the Shore towns are trying to get rid of tourism.

Imagine what a town like Asbury could do if it decided to be the place the
tourists came?  That's where you get your jobs, people flooding your
businesses, revenue for the town.  Quiet enclaves won't.