--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, Allan Peterson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> It comes down to what is best for Asbury. Keady should view this
from the resdients perspective.  WE LIVE HERE.  WE PAY TAXES HERE.
Why support a mission that will be in OUR town to help others?  I
know this is needed however as we all know there are already plenty
in Asbury.

>   If there were an increase of Asbury residents needing
assistance, and the facilities / programs were not able to handle,
then I could understand.  While I do not know the numbers I would
think the homeless has declined.

>   The councilman should put aside his selfish thoughts (while I
understant are high) and represent the people of Asbury.  That is
why he was elected.

A multi-post reply

1. I am a heterosexual and I rather the mission not come here.
2. I attended the Stand Up for Asbury meeting and there were other
heterosexuals there.
3. There are many people in AP (gays and straights) that do not know
about the shelter coming here and were concerned when they learned
of it.
3. I don't think it is easy for many, including myself, to come out
against the concept of a shelter. I think it is even harder to
support it as Keady has done, or to be more specific, not oppose it.
4. Keady did not bring the shelter here. In fact, he wants to change
the system which in part allows such services to be grouped in
communitied like Asbury. If it is successful opening here, Keady is
who you would want to make sure it is operated with minimal
intrusion and nuisance.
5. Keady, or any elected official, can, and should vote their
conscience. If this country has proven anything, it is that the
majority should not rule in every case.
6.There appears to be no homeless shelters now in AP.
7. I asked if the homeless in AP had been counted. There are
approximately 100 homeless persons in AP.
8. If a homeless shelter is required, I would rather that it be part
of the municipal complex and that is run by the government. While
government often does not run things well, I think we have more
control. In view of the religious freedom act, I fear religious
groups running these things. Especially any fundamental, right-wing
Christian group.