Hi Allen,

Thanks for your input.  Firstly, I would like to point out that we are not suing the Market Street Mission.  We are appealing the variances that the zoning board issued to the Mission

The zoning board initially denied the variances that the shelter sought from the city.  The Mission then appealed this at the Monmouth County Court.  The Judge ruled that the zoning board had not considered the “inherently beneficial use test” in denying the variances to the Mission.  The ruling was sent back to the zoning board.  At this point the zoning board felt out-gunned and approved the variances without applying the inherently beneficial use test.

Stand Up For Asbury is not against homeless shelters or soup kitchens per se.  Our contention is that the city already has more than its share.  The shelter will bring in homeless men from around the State, not just men from Asbury.  The homeless at the shelter will have had no criminal background checks and will include released convicts, pedophiles, drug and alcohol abusers and the mentally ill.  These men will be on the Streets of Asbury Park starting at 7 a.m. every morning until the shelter lets them back in at night.

I have never heard of a city issuing temporary variances in this type of situation.  The shelter has already purchased the property for an enormous sum of money.  Once it is allowed to operate, it will be there indefinitely – for better or for worse.  The Market Street Mission has operated in Morristown for over 90 years.

Again, Stand Up For Asbury! respects opposing points of view and I appreciate that you have heard us out.

Best personal regards,

Paul Vail

511 Second Ave