--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, Lighty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >  There have also been people stating that SUFA said there were
7 similar
> > overnight facilities and homeless shelters.  Maybe someone
starting stretching
> > the truth and others began repeating it, but I¹ve heard this
statement several
> > times.    But this is one of the main points people keep
repeating as to why
> > Asbury Park doesn¹t need the mission.

That may have been one of the original comments, not of the group
per se, but by some members. I think the truth of the matter is that
AP has ZERO overnight shelters and SUFA has admitted that. Are there
homeless in AP? Yes. Can a solution be worked out to address AP's
resident homeless problem, yes. But that is more complex and
requires a change in state laws (as Keady pointed out). Anyone who
believes that a shelter that does not screen its clients will not
attract a bevy of non-AP people is simply not being realistic. AP is
indunated with social service facilities. We should work on our OWN
homeless problem with the county. I simply do not buy the fact that
a non-screening shelter should be permitted because some do not want
to go to a screened facility (Ft Monmouth) because they will either
not be accepted or subject to arrest of they have a warrant
outstanding. You are only asking for trouble. Put it in Deal, Loch
Arbour, Allenhurst, Bradley Beach. They're all close by. AP has done
more than its fair share.