--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "Hinge" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Asbury Park was well known before Bruce. Greetings From AP came from
one of our Postcards. Bruce borrowed it. Bruce skyrocked our music
but not our city. Back in the day all the big named bands played
here. From the 40's to the 70's.  Moe Septie brought rock and roll to
the Convention Hall here in the 60's and 70's well before the Pony.
The Stones, The Who, etc etc.

 I think what you are missing is that the whole S.O.A.P thing wasn't
for you, or me. It was a
> moment to honor a group of musicians who contributed to something
years ago.
> Why not let them have their moment in the sun without dumping on
them?
> There were no promises of Bruce showing up. Of course there would
be rumors that he
> would show, but if you spent the bucks to buy a ticket just for
that reason, who's fault is
> that? Who are we to judge where he was that night? If you were one
of those musicians
> honored by this event, and you read the BS in the TCN, how would
you feel?
> I guess feelings about the Pony are subjective. I hadn't been there
in ages, but a few weeks
> ago I went to the Asbury Music Awards. I had a great time. It
didn't smell. The sound was
> great (although I could've done better) and it was just plain great
to be in a place where I
> somewhat grew up in musically speaking.
> I do agree about Bruce being the catalyst for the rest of the world
knowing about AP. Just
> take a ride into AP this holiday season, and you'll see Greetings
>From Asbury Park in lights.
> That phrase is known the world over because of Bruce. But, that
doesn't mean you need to
> belittle other lesser known musicians that come from a time when he
was coming up in
> the ranks.
>
> --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, Traderdube <traderdube@> wrote:
> >
> > Hinge my boy, I just knew you were going to rant over Danny boys
> > anti-Soap rant. I read the article and I am not ashamed to say
that for
> > all intents and purposes, I agree with Dan. A plaque on the
boardwalk is
> > almost as big a pile of krap as the save tillie thing. Cutting
that face
> > out of that building was as stupid as anything the city of asbury
park
> > and asbury partners have done. Ranks up there with destroying the
copper
> > peanut kettles they found in the old planters concession. What
Danny boy
> > didn't say in his poignant rant was that the SOAP thing, although
> > brilliant bit of promotion by 2 long forgotten bar band warriors,
was a
> > rip off and a half. Without the "promises" that Bruce was going
to play,
> > and the adverts and rumors were plain that he was going to play,
> > seriously doubt that marks would pay 1500 bucks to get into the
> > crumbling smelly old stone pony.
> >
> > Bruce was so in to the SOAP affair that he didn't show, but the
very
> > next night, he and his bride enjoyed a marvelous hour and forty
five
> > minute set by the queen of rockabilly, Wanda Jackson.  The SOAP
thing is
> > a such a pipe dream, these bands were cover bands and they
covered any
> > song that the crowds would dance to, we danced ion those days.
The blunt
> > reality is that without Bruce and his music fueling Asbury Park
all
> > these years, the tillie lovers and the SOAP stars and many many
memories
> > simply would not exist. It all starts and stops on Bruce's
doorstop,
> > especially the careers of his band mates and Southside. Now
maybe, just
> > maybe, one Johnny Bongiovanni may have also elevated Asbury Park
to it's
> > international status as a musical mecca, but then the Pony would
be long
> > ago tore down and The Fast Lane would be where all the German
Nationals
> > come to take pictures.
> >
> > I have to agree with Fred. The Stone Pony died the day Butch sold
it, it
> > is a fire trap, uncomfortable, and yes, it needs to come down,
but, it
> > will be replaced by a new and modern Stone Pony and that is a
good thing.

> > Same deal with Tillie. As stupid as I personally believe the save
tille
> > organization was, their persistence, fueled by Bruce, paid off
> > handsomely for Asbury Park 2 summers ago when Tille was saved.
However,
> > tillie wasn't saved by cutting the face out of the palace, tillie
was
> > saved by the events that followed that cutting. Because AP
Partners and