I agree, Madison Marquette's involvement has been dangled in front of
everyone for far too long.  Clearly they were way to far from an
actual agreement to have made any announcement.  My fear is this was
done more as a smokescreen by Asbury Partners to create the
perception of action rather than as real agreement that is close to
being signed...  Even at that time I was suprised that such major
news, presented as relative certainty, came from an agreement that
was not yet even in place.  Usually this kind of press would wait
until there really was an agreement.

Not sure I would blame the press as much as those who sold an
annoucement of apparantely absolutely nothing but vapor.  But if I
was the reporter who had printed this story I'd be all over them at
this point as I would feel duped.