From: dfsavgny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 2:16:20 PM
Subject: [AsburyPark] Re: School Waste

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED] ups.com, "asburycouple" <asburycouple@ ...>
wrote:

> That said, what scares me
> is that while note speaking on behalf of the board there is a board
> member who recognizes a sense of powerlessness to fix this locally
> and is looking forward to the state's involvement to fix a local
> issue.

A fair interpretation.

> The more I see here, the more I think our entire system of
> government in AP is just broken.

Even fairer.

> Perhaps it's time to move to a
> full-time, paid mayoral post responsible for running the city and
> ultimately responsible for the schools as well.

I think we need not only a full-time mayor, with whom the buck
ultimately stops, but we need, as Tommy says, a ward or district
system for election of council members.

As to the mayor being responsible for the schools, that has begun to
work out well in NYC, however, AP may be just too small, and I do not
know if I would want the city's hands on that pot of dough. School
boards technically are on par with the city in terms of power (don;t
ask me how the city was able to condemn an equal power's property)
with school boards created from the state. I think it may be time to
move to regional school boards with more state oversight.

> lack in both city and school governance is a strong leader who is
> empowered to drive change and accountable to the people. In the
> current system is it impoossible to really understand who's really
> accountable for anything.

Sort of like working in a bank. The modus operandi is that at the end
of the day all of the arrows should point away from you. Except of
course if there is credit to be taken or a photo op.

Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.