Kate Mellina wrote an interesting article on the subject.

BEHIND THE SCENES
by Kate Mellina

THE APRIL 17 SCHOOL BOARD ELECTION
APRIL 5, 2007 -- Tuesday, April 17 may be Tax Day to most people, but in Asbury
Park it has much more significance.
That's the day city residents will elect five individuals for one of the most
onerous, thankless (and unpaid) jobs in Monmouth County: Asbury Park Board of
Education member.
Asbury Park has an unprecedented five positions open on its nine-member board
this year, due to the resignation of two board members. As always, there are 3
three-year positions available. The two unexpired terms are for two years and
one year, respectively.
Recently, I wrote about the traumatic state of the city's schools, and the need
for a stable board to hire an effective and responsive school superintendent. I
also told you why we can't put our confidence in the politically constrained
Intervention Team appointed by the state.
Fortunately, Asbury Park voters have some solid candidates to choose from this
year.
Top on my list is incumbent Frank D'Alessandro, who is running for the one-year
seat vacated by long-time board member Eileen Sonnier. (Eileen was obligated to
resign when she moved from Asbury Park.)
Frank, as you hopefully know, is a tireless voice for real reform in Asbury
Park's beleaguered school system and he won't be bowed by political pressure.
His voice is often the strongest one we hear on behalf of city school children.
A retired Middletown math teacher and former teacher's union president, Frank
is an Asbury Park Library Board member and former Coaster columnist. And -
unlike the parade of elected officials whose major skill seems to be funneling
money into their own pockets - Frank is a generous and unpretentious giver,
whether he's saving the childhood home of writer Stephen Crane or quietly
donating scholarship funds for Asbury Park children.
When it comes to three-year positions, I support Marie Castro, who was recently
appointed to fill an unexpired term on the board. Castro is an adjunct
professor of English at Lehman College, part of The City University of New
York, and a resident of Asbury Tower. She has already received positive reviews
for her stabilizing influence and clear common sense.
I also strongly support new candidate Thomas Pavinski, a semi-retired
psychotherapist and co-owner of Studebaker's Antiques. Tom has chaired the
city's Environmental Shade Tree Commission for five years, and writes the
Coaster's "New Shade of Green" column.
He is smart, caring, calming in tense situations, and - as his leadership on
the once-lagging Shade Tree Commission has shown - extremely effective at
getting things done.
(By the way: In the interests of full disclosure, Tom and his partner purchased
my former Asbury Park gallery building last year, and they are preparing to
open Heaven, an antique shop and gallery there.)
Finally, and certainly not least, I support Barbara Lesinski for a three-year
term. Lesinski, an Asbury Park police dispatcher, is a former Asbury Park
Housing Authority chair and commissioner who helped clean up that authority
when it hit rock bottom a decade ago.
She is a member of the Asbury Park Citizens on Patrol, the Neighborhood Watch,
and the Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office's Community Justice Advisory Board
- the group that brought two anti-gang seminars to Asbury Park, among other
activities. She is also active on the Wesley Lake commission.
But the main reason I support Barbara is because she is fearless: Several years
back, when Asbury Park had what was arguably the worst city council and Board
of Education in its history, Barbara filed successful ethics complaints against
both of those bodies.
In return, she found herself (unsuccessfully) sued by the Board of Education in
federal court; her name was scrawled on a cemetery headstone in an anonymous
flyer; and the former city council (at least three of whom have since been
indicted and/or convicted on federal charges) had their city manager banish her
from the Police Department to an out-of-sight job at the sewer plant. Barbara
never caved in.
Is there anyone I definitely wouldn't vote for? Yes, starting with Gregory
Hopson Sr., who was inexplicably tapped to fill a temporary vacancy on the
board in January. Hopson led a particularly nasty campaign to have a head
football coach reappointed - despite a finding that the coach had sexually
harassed another teacher.
And he reportedly led a vigorous - and ultimately unfounded - attack on another
board member that cost the district needless expense and the board member
needless distress. Such misplaced divisiveness - which was marked by the usual
inflammatory, anonymous flyers - is exactly what the school system doesn't
need.
Which is primarily why Asbury Park Fire Inspector and current Board of
Education Vice President Garrett Giberson surprisingly didn't make my list:
Despite the availability of at least one other suitable candidate, Giberson
nominated Hopson for the school board position, seconded by longtime school
administration apologist Adrienne Sanders.
While I can think of several political strategy reasons for such a nomination,
I can think of no rational one that would benefit city children or their
schools. I hope voters will ask Giberson for a clear explanation before
election day.
I would also hesitate to support any candidate running with longtime incumbent
Adrienne Sanders. Sanders has been an ardent supporter of suspended School
Superintendent Antonio Lewis who, as I've previously written, was strikingly
ineffective and unresponsive as both superintendent and middle school
principal.
Unfortunately, Sanders is running unopposed for the two-year term. Her only
opponent suddenly withdrew after the filing deadline and announced he would run
for a three-year, write-in term - on a ticket with Sanders, Hobson and two
others.
But, however you vote, please remember just how much your vote really does
count, particularly in school board elections where voter turnout is abysmal.
And your vote is particularly crucial now that the state has loosened the rules
for absentee ballots - a traditional source of voter fraud in Asbury Park.
If you need more convincing, I hope you will also consult two eye-opening
Internet links:
http://education.state.nj.us/rc/rc05/dataselect.php?c=25;d=0100;s=010;lt=A;st=A&datasection=all
 and http://www.monmouthhumanservices.org/Acrobat/Youth_Services_Data.pdf.
The first is a detailed report card on Asbury Park schools, provided by the NJ
Department of Education. The second shows sobering statistics compiled by the
Monmouth County Youth Services Commission on everything from city poverty
levels to the rates of child abuse and juvenile crime.
Planning to be out of town on April 17? Call City Clerk Steve Kay at
732-502-5718 or the county election offices at 732-431-7785 for absentee ballot
forms and information. Mailed applications must reach the County Clerk's office
seven days before the election, or they can be personally delivered until 3
p.m. on April 16.
Finally, as Board of Education members struggle with this year's budget and its
affect on city taxes, I'd like to make one more recommendation: A few years
ago, the state Department of Education reported that a former board attorney
had improperly charged the board by more than $300,000 during his relatively
short tenure there.
The state ordered the board to recoup those fees, but former board members
never did. With tax hikes looming, now would be a good time to ask the state
Intervention Team for help in recovering that money.
With any luck, board members could offer Asbury Park taxpayers the best Tax Day
refund they've seen in a long, long time.