--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "mima4k" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 Maybe members of the board would read another article in
> today's Press in the business section about Wegmans. This may sound
> like a stretch, but their philosophy regarding their employees is key
> to their success, and can translate to other arenas. They value their
> people and treat them well, and have been honored for doing so, both
> by various groups, and by their tremendous success. Many people
> working in the Asbury Park Schools are undervalued, and often feel
> defeated, threatened and hopeless. Staff morale needs to be built
> back up, so teachers and support staff feel as though they and their
> opinions matter. ... There are real, live people involved, students,
> staff and parents, not just statistics, and that should not be
> forgotten.

     I couldn't agree with you more.  I have said that before Mr.
Parham became the Acting Superintendent, much information was withheld
on purpose from the board.  Central Administration considered us a
nuisance.  Meanwhile a reign of terror was going on and people were
fired and hired with little or no consideration given to competence,
just to loyalty.  All decisions were top-down with no input from the
real in-house experts.  I have said that the only way board members
received useful information was from people brave enough to tell us.
Just yesterday, I found out that for the past three years teachers and
 facilitators were told in no uncertain terms that they were never to
express their opinion on the Math program that was only supposed to be
a pilot program. When they submitted a document that expressed
universal dismay over the program, that document was suppressed and
never shown to the board. Three years ago when the Board initially
invested a half of a million dollars in this "pilot" program just on
the recommendation of Dr. Lewis with no consultation with the teachers
or facilitators, the board was given assurances and promises which
were never kept.  Over the years, the program was quietly expanded to
the 5th grade, and may be headed into the Middle School.
    Tenure was supposed to protect good teachers (not bad ones)
against political interference, favoritism, and cronyism.
Unfortunately, in Asbury Park, even with the protection of tenure, if
anyone succeeds in getting it, people are terrified to express their
opinion and have had to teach under outrageous conditions.  I
sincerely hope that it is not too late to do something about all of this.
                                  Frank D'Alessandro
PS Under Board policy, I must always attach the disclaimer that I do
not speak for the board, but only myself.