At last night's BOE meeting, the state intervention team gave a 90
minute update on all aspects of their assistance to the school
district from Early Childhood through High School.  Of all 600 school
districts in New Jersey, they are spending the most time and resources
here due to the often dysfunctional, but fixable in their view, nature
of our school system.  Early Childhood and Elementary are the
brightest spots here, and there are plans to ameliorate and remediate
the secondary level with initiatives from our own Board of Ed, a
Middle School Initiative and Grant from UMDNJ, the NJEA, and
assistance provided by the State.  There will be more transitional
Summer school programs than ever before to keep the progress moving
ahead.  The Intervention Team, headed by Assistant State Commissioner
of Ed Dr. Penelope Lattimer, as well as the Board expressed their
admiration for the work being accomplished by the Acting
Superintendent, James Parham.  The three students who won the
district-wide spelling bee, the Teachers of the Year, the Students who
have been named to the Governor's School and the Monmouth County
Student of the Month (a phenomenal young lady from our high
school—there's a story about Carlita in today's Press) were all
honored.  Also last night the Board passed a corrective action plan to
correct irregular business procedures that have needed correcting for
a very long time.  The present law firm was also re-appointed for
another year with one "abstention" and one "no" vote.  Due to a very
long agenda and unusually long closed session, the meeting ended well
past 11 PM.  As usual, I must state that I do not speak for the Board.

                                        Frank D'Alessandro, BOE member