--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "justifiedright"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> That's why I'm scoffing at the idea that council is responsible for
> job creation.
>
> FDR used MASSIVE government spending to create jobs (was only to be
> temporary by the way, ended up permenant).
>
> Certainly no one is seriously suggesting the City council undertake
> massive spending.

Those were extraordinary times and called for Keynesian solutions
(although FDR disagreed with Keynes).

Government's role is to create the conditions that permit job creation
. That may be beyond the scope of a small local governing body and is
on a county, if not state level. If there are special circumstances,
as I suspect there are here, then local government has a role. It does
not necessarily call for spending. Let's say incentives. My entire
point is that we have a local government and elected officials. it is
their job to balance the budget, increase rateables and whatever. They
come up with the solutions, which may include fleecing developers. You
can't look to someone else all the time. They need to set up to the plate.