AsburyCouple, did you RTFA?  I said quite clearly I love dogs and
abhor dog fighting.  If you above me are the animal lover, where is
your outrage at the rest of the world's animal killing?  That's what
I'm pointing out in the column, that hypocrisy.

Apparantly the column isn't about me; it seems to be about you.

Below I print the column in the Press today.  The writer makes many
of the same points about the hypocricy I did.

How about you Jack and Mario call her and tell her how terrible she
is like you've tried to do to me today?

By the way, she referes to my view as a "far left wing" view,
proving once again that you Jack and Mario have a limited world view
(you call me neocon after reading the same view):

Vick case stirs debate over value of dogs versus people

Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 09/2/07
BY SUSAN RUSSELL

For five seconds, the horrors of the Michael Vick dogfighting
scandal seemed crystal clear. Americans know an atrocity when they
see one.

Then the competition began. It's people versus animals, went the
refrain. Compassion must be rationed. It's either/or.

Hot air from conservatives? Not really. More like a cold wind from
the left.

Kindness is a vanishing American virtue — at least for the
chattering classes. It seems the more interest groups there are, the
less genuine kindness there is. Perhaps acute specialization breeds
selfishness — only we matter! — hardening the heart to everyone and
everything else.

And so it was that a cadre of liberal talking heads and columnists
belittled widespread outrage over dogfighting. Each touted his or
her own cause — and species — as more deserving of the outrage. A
few appeared more outraged by public compassion for dogs than by
dogfighting itself. "Mere dogs," they sniffed. "What about people?"

Sandy Kobrin is a regular contributor to Women's eNews, and,
presumably, a feminist. Deeply offended, Kobrin wrote: "Beat a
woman? Play on. Beat a dog? You're gone. What could possibly account
for this bizarre situation? The anti-animal-abuse lobby, meanwhile,
is going after Vick with all four paws."

When the least powerful among us are viewed as competitors — for
attention, for compassion, for funds — we've become very small
indeed.

One would think that in a nation that slaughters nearly 10 billion
animals a year for food, kills another 30 million a year for
amusement and destroys untold millions of unwanted dogs and cats
every year, it shouldn't be too trying to give brutalized dogs their
day.

Shouldn't the progressive mantra of respect apply not only to chosen
groups of people, but also to persecuted animals and the human
beings who work to protect them?

If any of the commentators so morbidly offended by the outpouring of
sympathy for dogs over people didn't take a sustained stand against
athletes beating women, they are hypocrites squared.

Likewise, interests who are usually judgmental and quick to assign
blame looked the other way. Dogs? What dogs? According to Vick's
apologists, he made a vague "mistake." One columnist wrote
that "Michael Vick was crucified" — even after the football player
pleaded guilty. All forgot to mention the tortured dogs.

Such stilted ethics are light years behind humanity's greatest
thinkers and philosophers. Pythagoras, Seneca, Plutarch, Da Vinci,
Voltaire, Paine, Montaigne, Twain, Tolstoy, Locke, Darwin, Hugo,
Zola, Schopenhauer, Einstein and so many others were impassioned
advocates for animals, as well as for humans.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of
man," wrote Charles Darwin. Thomas Edison said, "Nonviolence leads
to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we
stop harming all other living beings, we are savages." "I am in
favor of animal rights as well as human rights," wrote Abraham
Lincoln. "That is the way of a whole human being."

What children, men, women and thousands of pit bulls have in common
is that they are daily victims of insensate, burgeoning violence.
Given the documented link between violence against animals and
violence against humans, is there any clearer sign that the circle
of compassion, as Albert Schweitzer called it, must include both?

Humanitarians of all stripes, for all species, must make education
inculcating nonviolence and kindness toward humans and animals a
priority, in cities where violence against humans, dogfighting and
cockfighting flourish, and in rural areas where animal fighting is
entrenched.

Authorities say crimes of cruelty are nearing a crisis stage. Behind
a Tallahassee, Fla., home last month, police found dozens of
starving, wounded pit bulls feared too far gone to be helped. Days
before, deputy sheriffs uncovered a mass grave of 28 roosters,
cockfighting weapons and $25,000 in cash. In New Jersey, Trenton,
parts of Salem County, Paterson and other areas are on the grid.

Until the Vick case, enforcement of animal fighting laws was rare.
Now, cruelty enforcement is on the upswing, with new cases breaking
every week.

The venality of dogfighting isn't limited to gansta rap or to famous
football stars. It cuts across racial lines. A 1998 undercover
investigation of dogfighting in the U.S. found that the participants
were generally poor, usually rural and "overwhelmingly white."

We know and love dogs. It is their proximity to us that makes them
lovable. We don't know the panicked animals forced to endure killing
and bleeding floors in slaughterhouses. They are the untouchables,
deliberately kept out of sight, out of mind. How many kind, well-
meaning people condemned dogfighting, then sat down to a fat, juicy
steak from a steer who, given the odds, was skinned alive, and who,
to paraphrase Thoreau, held his life by the same tenure we do?

The bottom line: If breeding "man's best friends" to rip each other
apart — to cheers and jeers — then drowning and electrocuting the
broken, bleeding "underperformers" didn't shock the conscience of
most, albeit not all, Americans, we'd be in trouble.

Fortunately, most Americans and the media got this one right. The
bean counters might ponder the lesson.

Susan Russell, Little Silver, is a lobbyist, researcher and writer
on animal issues.

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "asburycouple" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> So the fact that he was running a gambling ring and financing the
> entire operation doesn't bother you at all?
>
> The fact that he enjoyed engaging in torture doesn't bother you
(oh
> sorry, you're a neocon so that one probably doesn't bother you)
>

> --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "justifiedright"
> <justifiedright@> wrote:
> >
> > The AP Press ran a column today that raised the same issue about
> how
> > we treat humans and animals in association with the Vick
> > controversey.
> >
> > Yes, I say let him play football, since the rule in the NFL is
> that
> > there is no lifetime ban for killing people (see Little and
Lewis).

> > Imagine how their victim's families will feel if Vick gets a
> > lifetime ban while those 2 guys didn't.
> >
> > Aren't you offended by that hypocrisy?
> >

> > --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "Hinge" <hinge98@> wrote:
> > >
> > > No Tommy, the columns title is about Vick. You say let him
play
> > football. End of story.
> > > Somehow, you managed to forget that fact. Yes, you did write
> about
> > hypocrisy, and it's
> > > remotely possible that you raised some actual points, but you
> > still hooked people in with
> > > the headline about letting Vick play football. End of story in
> my
> > opinion. Everything else
> > > you wrote just made it more laughable and deplorable at the
same
> > time. Just like you did
> > > about Clearwater. I'm sure your Vick article won't have the
> effect
> > you desired, and it'll
> > > probably help to shrink your fan base (if you think you have
one)

> > > --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "justifiedright"

> > could be
> > alone