"Here's what I overheard about the closing of the WB: the powers
that be who have mucho buckoh's riding on the sale of these
waterfront condos want Bruce and his gritty following out of Asbury.
They want to change the image and the message, and attract people who
are sufficiently entwined in the system to afford to invest here."

For one, that will mean people like me will move out of Asbury Park and never
look back.
I have absolutely zero interest in patronizing Fishman and companies vision of
this city.
Music is literally my life. I grew up in the clubs of Asbury and Long Branch,
and from that
experience I created a career for myself that took me around the world. Once
during those
travels, I was in a city in Germany during a recent Worlds Fair, at which I was
working at
the European MTV music awards. I was wandering around the fair wearing my
Vaccaro
Guitars tee shirt, which proudly displays the name Asbury Park. A group of
European
women came up to me and asked about my shirt, then asked if I ever met Bruce (I
had) or
Bon Jovi (him too) and if they could buy my shirt. No kidding! Unfortunately
for them, I
didn't feel like walking around the Worlds Fair shirtless, so I declined.
That's an example of
the far reaching impact that Asbury Park once had.
By taking away the music venues that are the breeding grounds of so many great
musicians, AP Partners are destroying something beautiful...but they don't
care. Money is
their passion, not music and the people that make it.
I feel fortunate that I work at The Saint. At least our musical home isn't
threatened (yet)
but it truly saddens me that the opportunities for original music to flourish
are rapidly
disappearing.
So what will Asbury Park become? Less racially diverse, less interesting, less
vital. Will it
become The OC, Laguna Beach, The Hills? Pier Village?

See you in Paris Maureen :)