The Cole bombing happened in December at the end of the Clinton
Administration and the Repubes wouldn't let him respond.
(And you've used this discredited story, over and over, but never
seem to learn from your errors)

"After the October 2000 attack on the USS Cole, evidence accumulated
that it had been launched by al Qaeda operatives, but without
confirmation that Bin Ladin had given the order. The Taliban had
earlier been warned that it would be held responsible for another Bin
Ladin attack on the United States. The CIA described its findings as
a 'preliminary judgment'; President Clinton and his chief advisers
told us they were waiting for a conclusion before deciding whether to
take military action. The military alternatives remained unappealing
to them.

"The transition to the new Bush administration in late 2000 and early
2001 took place with the Cole issue still pending. President George
W. Bush and his chief advisers accepted that al Qaeda was responsible
for the attack on the Cole, but did not like the options available
for a response.

"Bin Ladin'€™s inference may well have been that attacks, at least
at the level of the Cole, were risk free."
"The Yemeni government also dragged its feet in the investigation,
leading to President Clinton'€™s becoming personally involved. The
U.S. government left the Yemenis in no doubt about the two
alternative paths that Yemeni-American relations could take...

Meanwhile in Washington neither CIA nor FBI would state the obvious:
al Qaeda did it... It was difficult to gain support for a retaliatory
strike when neither FBI nor CIA would say that al Qaeda did it.

"Clinton left office with bin Laden alive, but having authorized
action to eliminate him and to step up the attacks on al Qaeda. He
had defeated al Qaeda when it attempted to take over Bosnia by having
its fighters dominate the defense of the breakaway state from Serbian
attacks. He had seen earlier than anyone that terrorism would be the
major new threat facing America, and therefore had greatly increased
funding for counterterrorism and initiated homeland protection
programs. He had put an end to Iraqi and Iranian terrorism against
the United States by quickly acting against the intelligence services
of each nation.

"Because of the intensity of the political opposition that Clinton
encountered, he had been heavily criticized for bombing al Qaeda
camps in Afghanistan, for engaging in 'Wag the Dog' tactics to divert
attention from a scandal about his personal life. For similar
reasons, he could not fire the recalcitrant FBI director who had
failed to fix the Bureau or to uncover terrorists in the United States.

"When Clinton left office many people, including the incoming Bush
administration, thought that he and his administration were overly
obsessed with al Qaeda. … Why was Clinton so worked up about al
Qaeda and why did he talk to President-elect Bush about it and have
Sandy Berger raise it with his successor as National Security
Advisor, Condi Rice? In January 2001, the new administration really
thought Clinton’s recommendation that eliminating al Qaeda be one
of their highest priorities, well, rather odd, like so many of the
Clinton administration’s actions, from their perspective."