No, if anything, parties are loosing power. The rise of the
independent candidates will continue to grow.  I'd say in about
twenty years the Republican and Democratic parties will be gone.

I think Asbury Park is actually ahead of the rest in this area,  keep
it non-partisan.

There is a city who had the same problem with too many candidates and
developed a way to elect the most preferred top five candidates out
of a field of many running.  It might have been San Francisco.  I'll
try and find something on it later.

And lastly, about weeding out nuts. Your point is not without
debate.  I think we'd all agree many nuts get elected in the two
party system currently in place.

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "justifiedright"