Just want to be clear, I am not criticizing the cops themselves. I
come from a law enforcement family. I saw a lot of cops on foot
patrol in the summer. I see them on First Nights and such... But
there is nothing like having cops on foot all the time, on the
street, seeing what is going on... moving people along when they
loiter too long at a corner. Being in a car is not the same. There
should always be cops on foot on the major streets where people go
out. Maybe we should spend the $25,000 on warm coats and gear for
the cops?

If you go out in NYC, you will always see cops on the street. While
our crime rate may be down (on your word, I have not seen the data)
if is still high and people perceive it as SUPER high. I am not AP
bashing. I love this city. But the reality is that things are a lot
less likely to go down if the police are right there.

Here is another question... Are police notified when Stone Pony
shows and similar events end so that the police can watch people get
to their cars safely? Not just the big events, but the small ones
too. I have walked home from the Pony and it was pretty desolate. I
know people recently got jumped after going to the Lanes. More of a
presence would make these incidents less likely. And did someone
pull a gun and mug a family on Cookman recently, or is that a rumor?

And trust me, I have called the cops and will always call the cops
if I see something.

> Looking for last minute shopping deals?
> Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.
http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?