-...and from the blog on that doc, this is the real story about education:

I know if I sit on top of kids and work WITH them vs telling them, they'll do
it. It worked
for things like spelling or if I (we) sat by vs heading out at night. Not their
grades are that
great but I expect them to do well in the future... read the following.

October 23, 2007

America's First Challenge - Parental Responsibility
As you view Two Million Minutes one of the most obvious differences seen in
India and
China in the education of children has nothing to do with the school system
whatsoever.

In India and China, parents take primary responsibility for their child's
education. Parents
set high expectations for academic achievement, they require studying be done,
they
make academic excellence the most important aspect of life at home.

Indian and Chinese parents organize their own lives around making certain their
child is
studying, getting extra tutoring, developing their intellectual skills to the
highest level
possible. They invest a lot of time, energy and money in their own child's
education.

Indian and Chinese parents treat academics the way many American parents treat
sports.
In America, it is common for parents to spend money on extra coaching or a
sports camp
or better equipment. Parents get engaged on their child's sports program -
traveling to
games, volunteering to help coach, donating money for better athletic
facilities. And they
celebrate athletic achievement with pride, compliments and encouragement.

Indian and Chinese parents put the same emphasis on academics and intellectual
preparation. As the father of the Indian student Aproova so eloquently puts it
- "My
responsibility as a parent is to ensure that my daughters are globally
competitive and that
they can face the world fearlessly and able to compete."

How many American parents, when asked what their role is in their child's
education
would answer "to ensure that they are globally competitive"?

How many American parents have given much thought to their role in their
child's
education and then taken concrete action?

In India and China, parents are deeply involved in their child's education -
and that seems
to make a profound difference in how much their children learn in school.