--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "sandpiper15" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "njshoregirlap"
> <wonderwomanator@> wrote:
> >I am a City Planner by education. I took many classes
> > on Architecture and Urban Design .
>
> >They dot the vacant spots between the pavillions (which
> > are looking great by the way)
>
> As a city planner what are your thoughts on having anything in those
> spaces, regardless of how they look? I'm sure you know the history and
> reasoning behind the flared streets between Ocean and Kingsley that
> correspond to those spaces. Is it worth it lose that air flow and those
> sightlines in order to gain whatever rent they're making on those
> containers?

That's another point altogether!  I think that the thought that went
into the initial design of the street plan was visionary.  You have to
admit that the wide streets at the oceanside do allow some great
circulation to the uppper blocks in town,(of which I'm a beneficiary!)
If you compare Asbury design to say the obstruction of the oceanfront
in Long Branch you can see what extreme building conveys....the beach
is only for some people...for example.

You raise some good points. I had only been thinking about the facade
factor when I initially posted.  Open spaces between the pavillions
does make sense if you are keeping with historical design standards.
It makes additional sense if you keep in mind environmental problems
of today.   Thanks.