--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "radio881gal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Glenn -
> I must've been asleep at the switch on this one. Saving the bandshell
> was a major campaign by my co-host Maire Martello and I and later the
> preservation committee of the AP Historical Society joined that
> effort with a very successful postcard campaign. We submitted loads
> of petition signatures to the city - Maire got her NY theatrical and
> journalist friends to sign it. Sydney Zion and, I think, even Nat
> Henthoff, of the Village Voice, signed it for crissake. Trombone
> players from all over the country signed it.
>    Because the city was eager for MM to get the pavilions done for
> this summer, it finally yielded to allow a rehab of the lower level
> of the 5th Av pavilion only. But it's clear that the upstairs - the
> old HoJos -- was rehabbed. I suspected at the time that that maneuver
> was meant to shove bandshell preservationists aside, which Fishman
> and company had been trying to do for years. So this is the old
> benign neglect play? If so, it would be truly foolish. It's a unique
> destination venue - as Sandpiper noted. Motolla should recognize that
> and get that equipment off the bandshell.

No, The entire City is 'asleep at the switch' - Primarily the public
officials that are supposed to protect our interests and assure long
term benefits for future taxpayers.

The remodeling of that Pavilion is a major loss to the City in terms
of heritage and culture. Doesn't anyone recognize that the issue is
not just the Bandshell ??

The build was a cohesive integrated design statement from a rich time
in architectural history. It was real, authentic and was not plowed
down. Even identified in the PLAN as a Significant/Historic building.

Destroyed none-the-less by ignorant decisions and ignoring the
public's interests.

Werner