Sharon,

Please ask for PROOF of the "evangelizing".  I never got the
impression that they demand some sort of conversion.  If I am such a
mess that I end up in a shelter like that, being told that the Jesus
version of a path to god is the best is not going to hurt me too much.

AA, NA etc use "higher power".  its all ultimately the same.

If you are going to dismiss them due to their belief in service in the
name of Jesus, you better start questioning the Salvation Army as well.

I think I have seen less people wandering as well.  Though I was never
disturbed by them.  There were people wandering in AP BEFORE the
shelter opened which would mean the shelter didn't bring them here.  i
am more concerned about that population.

I agree that the shelter may not have handled it ideally.  I did a
brief amount of research and spoke with a professor who has written
about the NIMBY response.  Ideally, orgs attempting to do this type of
work should have lots of communication with the communities they wish
to serve prior to opening up.

that doesn't excuse the reactionary and irrational response sufa
displayed.