> Please ask for PROOF of the "evangelizing".  I never got the
> impression that they demand some sort of conversion.  If I am such a
> mess that I end up in a shelter like that, being told that the Jesus
> version of a path to god is the best is not going to hurt me too much.

Some proof that they demanded those who stay beyond 10 days to join
their itensive religous program as well as the impact on the city of
all those "non-converter" being pulled to Asbury then dumped on the
streets.  A judge clearly agreed with when siding with the city:

>From an article in the Coaster -

"A main concern is that the mission attracts homeless and sometimes
addicted people to the shelter for food and housing but only a few
enter the mission's strict religious program, while the others are
turned back onto the street.

Those men who chose to go into the group's religious program were
allowed to stay and complete the program."

>From the Asbury Park Press - quoting the testimony to the judge this
summer:

"There's no exit strategy to monitor the men after seven days,'' said
zoning board
attorney Jack Serpico, after Judge finished.

Serpico contended the mission, which is called the Jersey Shore Rescue
Mission, could have a substantial impact on the immediate neighborhood
and that Market Street had failed to prove its concept would work and
that the city would not "get stuck'' with a large number of individuals
going through the program.

"There's nothing in the record that closes the loop on this,'' Serpico
said.

James Aaron, attorney for the city, said men would be at the mission
for seven days and if they didn't get picked for the long-term program,
would be out on the street … "just what Asbury Park doesn't need.

"You're going to put drug addicts and alcoholics on the west side of
Asbury Park where police have been working for years to clean up,''
Aaron said. ""(The program) will put these men right there. If that
isn't putting the tiger in the hen house, I don't know what is.

"Where do these people go?'' Aaron asked. "They have no money, They
have no food, they have no job.''

Ron Gasiorowski, the lawyer for Stand Up For Asbury, said of the total
40 beds, 10 people would be in the life change program, three would be
staff and 27 would be "put out into the streets of Asbury Park.

"If you turn 27 people out every seven days, that's 1,400 people a
year. Where are they coming from? Where are they going?''

Gasiorowski said the mission's success is predicated on people with
drug and alcohol addictions coming to the facility.

"They can bring as many of those as they can and then cherry-pick the
ones they want to keep,'' he said.

He said that with 10 or 20 accepted into their program, they could get
a success rate of 80 percent.

"Then they say how successful they are, but they don't say what 1,000
people did to Asbury Park,'' he said.